True Ignition Key Repair/Replacement (626) 283-4561
The ignition is the mechanism which is used to trigger the process of starting the combustion of fuel in the cylinders of an internal combustion engine, typically activated by a key. However, newer model vehicles have replaced the key with a push to start button.
The ignition process may seem simple, like the turn of a key, but in actuality, it is a complex system. If any of the components of the ignition process malfunction, your vehicle will not start.
Here are the top 5 signs your ignition may need to be checked out. Please note, the items listed below may occur once or several times but will eventually result in ignition failure if they are not addressed promptly.
5 Signs Your Ignition May Need to be Replaced
1. The key turns and the car sounds like it will turn on, but it does not.
- In most instances, this is caused by the corrosion of the electrical circuit connected to the ignition system which prevents the flow of an adequate power supply.
2. The key turns but nothing happens, there is no electricity and the engine does not make a sound.
- If this occurs, it may suggest that the ignition switch is unable to carry the electrical current from the battery to the starter.
3. The key does not turn.
- First things first, make sure the ignition lock is off by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Then, try to turn the key. If the key still does not turn, this may suggest extreme wear and tear inside the ignition which prevents the key from aligning up properly with the keyhole.
4. Dashboard lights flickering on and off.
- While driving around, you may have noticed the dashboard lights flickering on and off. This may suggest a problem with the connectivity of the electrical circuits linked to the ignition.
5. And last but not least, the car stalls while driving.
- This issue definitely creates the most frightening scenario. Imagine driving on the 101 North traveling 80, 90 or even 100 mph when your car all of a sudden turns off. Try not to panic, just shift your gear into neutral and try using the car’s momentum to get to the shoulder.
Issues with your ignition can result in critical system failure and put you and your loved ones at risk. Be sure to get any concerns you have checked out by a qualified professional as soon as possible. Our professionals at Key & Safes Service Pasadena can help with diagnosing the problem and offer several cost-effective solutions for your lock and key needs.